Friday, May 7, 2010

Christopher's Birth Story... May 24, 2009

Christopher's Story

For a few days I just felt miserable. I was huge, hurting and exhausted. I was having dizzy spells and sciatic nerve issues. I just had a feeling something was going to happen, so I paid all the bills and made sure my bag was packed.

Sunday morning (4 am) I woke and went to the bathroom. I noticed fluid before I started peeing and thought it was very strange. I called the on-call doc and he said that if it was my water breaking, that I would know - it would be a lot of fluid. I went back to the bed and tried to relax. An hour later I still felt like something more than normal discharge was happening. I stood up and all of the sudden it happened. Major fluid and then gush - water everywhere. I started getting things together and called my mom to baby-sit. I was packing my bathroom stuff and noticed that the fluid was specked with green - miconium. Uh oh.

We arrived at L&D and met with the on-call doctor. He knew with the miconium and dipping heart rate that it was time for a c-section...in an hour. It all went by super fast and I was on the table in no time. They started the surgery and found that Christopher was turned in the worst way possible to deliver - transverse with his back facing doc. Let me just tell you - it took a LOT of work to get him out. It took much longer than expected, too. It seemed he pushed and pulled for maybe 5 minutes - no joke. I started crying and was so scared. I started to throw up with the stress and my low blood pressure. The room was quiet...all those people and totally quiet. Paul was so strong - he kept telling me everything was ok - even though he didn't know if it was. They finally delivered Christopher and he was not making any sound (which I kinda figured, since they wouldn't want him breathing in with the miconium). He was whisked away in minutes and I got just a brief glance at him. He was beautiful.

The doc told me a little of what had happened - his bad placement and the issue of having had my water break made it very difficult to get him out of the sac. Also, my placenta was falling apart. Then he showed the knot in the cord. A true knot. Oh, Jesus. Thank you for the gift of this baby - so close to going to see Him. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

I went to recovery and baby went to the NICU.

I was foggy with the next events - mainly the normal getting meds and baby getting hooked up to all those machines and cords everywhere. But everything was going to be ok. Thank God.

Anyway - it's all a little overwhelming, but Christopher is doing SO well. I am guessing he'll be home in a matter of a few weeks. Can you believe it??

No comments: