Tuesday, December 7, 2010

17 Days Until Christmas

Am I the only one who gets depressed about Christmas coming too fast? I love the waiting - the wrapped gifts, the decorations, the planning and excitement that goes into it all. The day after Christmas will be a little depressing for me.

But, for now I will do my best to continue the fun and not look too far ahead.

MOST IMPORTANTLY...

Leeza. She still needs donations. And you still have a few days to enter the drawing. $10. Your name in the hat. A week at the beach. It's funny how excited I was at the idea when I came up with it. I was SURE it would be a way to raise my $1,000 for her. Now, it is getting me down. I know this is THE worst time to ask for money for anything. Everyone is struggling. Everyone has their own families to be concerned about.

I watched a show on tv the other night when I actually had a chance to sit - it was about a man and his son. The son had severe trauma during birth when the cord cut off his blood flow to his brain. The doctors had written his life story - and it didn't end up with a great ending. However, his father heard nothing of it and refused to let him live his life in an institution. So - they started running. His son had a seat and the father pushed him in a make-shift wheelchair/bike type thing. You could see the joy in his face as they raced. When his son was a teenager he was able to communicate with the push of a button using his head - the only part of his body he had some control over. AND IT WAS FANTASTIC. This child who was thought to be somewhat brain dead began to "talk" and was indeed very enthusiastic and smart! He and his father had a magical relationship and showed the love that two people can share even when someone is so severely challenged.

This story made me cry for all the children - children like Leeza - who might not look like they are capable. BUT THEY ARE! They are trapped in broken bodies, waiting to be loved. Please consider showing love for someone who isn't "perfect" or "typical" this Christmas with a gift to Reece's Rainbow. If not for Leeza, then a child that you feel needs love.

Thank you.
God Bless.

No comments: